Communications Officer (temporary position)
Are you passionate about global development issues and wants to advocate for a just and sustainable world? Forum Syd is looking for a positive and collaborative person with experience in creating unique and engaging content to join the Advocacy and Communication Unit. As our Communication Officer, you will be responsible for creating strategic external communications for various channels such as web, social media and press.
The person we are looking for should have several years’ experience working with communications and have a strong profile in digital development as well as in producing target group adapted content. The person should be a creative as well as a strategic communicator and enjoy collaborating in a team supporting a global organisation. Experience of working with civil society organisations and with development issues are considered meritorious.
The position reports to the Head of Advocacy and Communication and is a one-year contract, starting January 1, 2020, based at Forum Syd’s office in Stockholm, Sweden.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to
- Strategically develop and drive Forum Syd’s social media platforms and develop content for postings and campaigns.
- Manage Forum Syd’s newsletter including editorial responsibility.
- Strategically advocate Forum Syd's core issues in our channels and by participating in different events, such as Almedalen.
- Produce engaging text, image and video content for different channels such as website, social media, brochures etc
- Market Forum Syd and its members activities in relevant channels.
- Project lead graphic productions, such as the annual report and other graphic materials.
- Identify and visualise results in close corporation with the communication officers at hubs and country offices.
- Give communications support to different projects and events in the organisation.
- Establish and maintain relevant contacts with media/decision-makers and networks.
- Other tasks related to the work in the Communication unit as delegated by line manager.
- Contribute to the organisational learning and development of Forum Syd in general, and of the department in particular.
- Proven experience in creating unique and engaging content for web and social media
- Very good communication skills including the ability to adapt messages to the target group
- Good knowledge of different channels/media and willing to keep up to date with digital trends
- Ability to interpret website traffic and knowledge of online marketing and marketing channels
- Excellent ability to express oneself orally and in writing in English and Swedish
- Experience in building relations and networks
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects, prioritise, and deliver according to agreed time plan
- A team player with an ability to coordinate effectively with co-workers and external partners
Education and work experience
- Relevant academic degree in communications or equivalent qualifications obtained in another way
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as communication officer
As a person you have strong interpersonal skills, are collaborative and a clear communicator. You are organised yet flexible with a passion for contributing to a just and sustainable world.
Forum Syd supports equal opportunities for all. We encourage qualified applicants regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, functional ability or ethnic and religious affiliation to apply.
All personal data we receive at Forum Syd will be handled in accordance to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Read more here. By applying you agree to us storing any information you provide as part of your application.
Candidates should submit an application in English, consisting of CV and Cover Letter including summary of your key qualifications and relevant work experience for the position as Communications Officer.
Send the application in an e-mail to address: email@example.com (subject heading: Communications Officer) no later than 25th of October 2019. We look forward to your application!
Britt-Louise Andersson, Head of Advocacy & Communication, 08-506 370 00
Anneli Johansen, HR Officer, 08- 506 370 08
Unionen representative: Karin Gregow, 08-506 371 62
Saco representative: Maurits Otterloo, 08-506 37015
About Forum Syd and the Advocacy and Communication Unit
Forum Syd is a civil society member organisation that works with development issues from a rights-based perspective. Our vision is “a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change”. We work with advocacy and capacity building of partner organisations around the world, on issues relating to democracy and human rights. We mediate grants from Sida to Swedish organisations cooperating with local partners in 70 countries. We have offices in Sweden, Vilnius, Cambodia, Colombia, Kenya, Liberia and Somalia. Forum Syd was founded in 1995 and is the largest civil society platform in Sweden with about 140 member organisations.
The Advocacy and Communication Unit is responsible for Forum Syd’s advocacy and external communication and advises and supports the organisation with specialist knowledge in these fields. The policy work includes monitoring and analysing of global development issues and political decision processes. The strategic and operational communication includes the web, press, member communication and result communication. The department is responsible for the Infocom sub-granting and the programmes Global Development Issues and Globalportalen.