Do you want to work for a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change?
Are you highly structured and analytical, having integrity and good judgement? Do you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills? Then you are the one we are looking for!
Duty Station: Hub Eastern and Southern Africa – Nairobi
Duration of Assignment: Initially two years (Renewable)
Forum Syd is a Swedish civil society organisation focusing on democracy and human rights, gender equality, and environment and climate change. Forum Syd vision is “a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change”.
About Forum Syd
Forum Syd is a Swedish democracy and rights organization with about 140 Swedish member organizations with diverse partner organizations and networks worldwide. Founded in 1995, Forum Syd’s vision is “A just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change” while its mission is "to advocate for changes that contribute to a just and sustainable world; and to strengthen marginalized communities who organize to claim their rights.” We work with advocacy and capacity building of partner organizations around the world, on issues relating to democracy and human rights. We mediate grants from Sida to Swedish organizations cooperating with local partners in 70 countries. We have offices in Sweden, Vilnius, Cambodia, Colombia, Kenya, Somalia and Liberia. Forum Syd was founded in 1995 and is the largest civil society platform in Sweden with about 140 member organizations. Forum Syd Hub Eastern & Southern Africa interventions are mainly centered around civil society strengthening, social accountability and community empowerment interventions with overarching objective of improving the democratic space in Kenya through fulfillment of rights, equal gender participation and sustainable use of natural resources. To effectively achieve this, Hub ESA works with a broad range of partners and stakeholders both local and international within the different spheres of its work.
About the position
This position is based in Nairobi and is responsible for sub-granting of development funds to Swedish Civil society organizations who work with international development. This includes first-line helpdesk to Swedish applicant organizations as well as training of Swedish applicant organization and the administrative work necessary to ensure high quality sub-granting.
Areas of responsibility
- Assess programme and project applications and reports in accordance with Forum Syd’s framework for sub-granting.
- Provide coaching to applicant organisations on Forum Syd’s Theory of Change and framework for sub-granting.
- Assess and monitor the capacity of the applicant organisations to meet the requirements of Forum Syd and their compliance with the agreement.
- Analyse and monitor the geographic context and thematic trends relevant to the sub-granting portfolio and prioritised areas of Forum Syd.
- Contribute to the method development and learning of Forum Syd in general.
- Contribute to and carry out capacity-building activities.
- Contribute to Forum Syd’s overall application and reporting processes to donors.
- Relevant academic degree in Development Studies, International Relations, Social Science, Political Science, project management, Human Rights or equivalent qualifications.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in the development sector working with INGOs and in particular assessing programme and project applications and reports.
- Good understanding of the role of the civil society for/in development in the Eastern and Southern Africa region.
- Good knowledge in Forum Syd’s thematic areas and rights-based approach.
- Good knowledge in Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) and Result Based Management (RBM)
- Good contextual knowledge in socio-political and economical areas within the areas of operation.
- Good ability to combine theory with operational work and perform qualified analysis and site visits.
- Good knowledge in project administration. • Excellent ability to express oneself orally and in writing in English.
- Good understanding of development perspectives
This position is offered for an initial two years with three months probationary period, starting as soon as possible. The position is located at Forum Syd's office in Nairobi. Duty travels are part of the position.
Forum Syd is working for equal opportunities for all. We encourage qualified applicants regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, functional ability or ethnic and religious affiliation to apply for the position. Candidates should submit an application in English, consisting of CV (max 3 pages) and Cover Letter (max 1 pages) including a summary of your key qualifications and relevant work experience for the position as Sub-granting Officer.
Send the application in an e-mail to address: email@example.com (subject heading: Sub-granting Officer no later than July 21, 2019.
We look forward to your application!