Administration and Human Resource Officer
Do you want to work for a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change? Are you an effective administrator?
One that can undertake administrative tasks, ensuring the rest of the staff has adequate support to work efficiently? Are you organized, and analytical, having integrity and good judgement? Do you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills? Then you are the one we are looking for!
Duty Station: Hub Eastern and Southern Africa – Nairobi
Duration of Assignment: Initially two years (Renewable)
Forum Syd is a Swedish civil society organisation focusing on democracy and human rights, gender equality, and environment and climate change. Forum Syd vision is “a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change”.
About Forum Syd
Forum Syd is a Swedish democracy and rights organization with about 140 Swedish member organizations with diverse partner organizations and networks worldwide. Founded in 1995, Forum Syd’s vision is “A just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change” while its mission is "to advocate for changes that contribute to a just and sustainable world; and to strengthen marginalized communities who organize to claim their rights.” We work with advocacy and capacity building of partner organizations around the world, on issues relating to democracy and human rights. We mediate grants from Sida to Swedish organizations cooperating with local partners in 70 countries. We have offices in Sweden, Vilnius, Cambodia, Colombia, Kenya, Somalia and Liberia. Forum Syd was founded in 1995 and is the largest civil society platform in Sweden with about 140 member organizations. Forum Syd Hub Eastern & Southern Africa interventions are mainly centered around civil society strengthening, social accountability and community empowerment interventions with overarching objective of improving the democratic space in Kenya through fulfillment of rights, equal gender participation and sustainable use of natural resources. To effectively achieve this, Hub ESA works with a broad range of partners and stakeholders both local and international within the different spheres of its work.
About the position
The job holder is responsible for coordination of office activities and operations to ensure efficiency and compliance to Forum Syd Policy and procedures. S (he) will assist the Finance Administration and Human Resource Manager (FAHM) in all the employee life cycle management. S (he) will be responsible for procurement of goods, works and services in line with procurement objectives while ensuring compliance to the existing organizational policies.
Areas of responsibility
- Be responsible for effective and efficient administration of the office including cleanliness, mail delivery, facilities management, stationery, repairs and maintenance, managing inventory, staff welfare including coordinating meetings
- Managing both electronic and hard copy correspondences with partners, statutory organizations and other stakeholders and ensure proper documentation for future references
- Oversee the maintenance and updating of the assets register/inventory list.
- Prepare and submit report of physical assets and inventories on monthly basis or as required Ensure all insurance policies for both staff and Forum Syd property are renewed in good time.
- Ensuring minutes are taken during the staff meeting and filed in accordingly. Book venue for meetings and conferences in good time and ensuring Forum Syd Policy and procedure are complied with Ensure office expenses are paid in good time which includes office rent, internet, telephone, electricity bills.
- Plan and organize for transfer of staff, partners, visitors and commodities from one point to another in line with existing organizational policies and procedures, including air travel, local travel, and accommodation and visa applications for Forum Syd staff, consultants, Board Members.
- Enforce compliance with security and safety procedures and liaise with the law enforcement agencies over criminal and other security concerns
- Coordinate the movement of all Hub vehicles and all other assets.
Human Resource Management
- Assist FAHM in recruitment process by developing the recruitment schedule, developing TORs for vacant positions, facilitating shortlisting and scheduling interviews as well as conducting reference checks for successful candidates.
- Be responsible to document and archive all recruitments for the Hub. Planning and ensuring systemic induction of all new staff.
- Assist in drafting contracts and job descriptions for staff. Maintain accurate leave records for all the staff and coordinate and compile leave plans
- Assist to coordinate staff performance appraisals.
- Maintain physical and electronic personnel records and ensure records are complete as required and staff files confidentiality held.
- Process monthly payroll and ensure all deductions are submitted within the required time.
- Ensure exiting staff are interviewed and cleared as per the policy and all final dues are paid.
- Assist to compile annual staff training needs, tracking and maintaining records of the same and ensure pre-and post-training reports
- Ensure that induction plan is signed off and filed in the personal file of all employees.
- Ensure that contract renewals are done in a timely manner.
- Advise line managers and other employees on employment law, policies and procedures
- Staff leave scheduling and records / archive management.
- Responsible for prepare, publish and distribute procurement and disposal opportunities including invitation to tender, pre-qualification documents including terms of reference, invitations for expression of interest, among others.
- Act as the secretary for procurement evaluations committees and provide guidance on policy, budgets and other regulations. Prepare project specific and consolidated procurement and disposal plans and reports as may be necessary in consultation with management.
- Undertake procurement and disposal of documents and records as per the procurement regulations. Prepare and submit to management various reports relevant to procurement as required.
- Conduct periodic and annual stock taking and maintaining up to date records of inventory stocks Be responsible to document and archive all procurements for the Hub.
- Be responsible for compiling and regularly updating the annual procurement plan In consultation with the FAHM, scrutinize all legal contracts to ensure that Forum Syd interests are protected.
- Be the central person for all HR and Admin related communication for the hub
- Handle employee grievances formally and informally, forward them to management and follow up for resolution.
Qualifications required Essential
- At least bachelor’s degree in business administration, Human Resource or related field
- CHRP (Certification in Human Resources Management)
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in Human Resource and Administration preferably in the not for profit sector Desired:
- Sound judgement
- Computer proficiency.
- Personnel administration skills
- Good command of Ms office
- Analytical skills
- Attention to details
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when required
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan own work, set priorities and meet expectations with minimal supervision
- Integrity, Professionalism and good judgement
This position is offered for an initial two year with three months probationary period, starting as soon as possible. The position is located at Forum Syd's office in Nairobi.
Forum Syd is working for equal opportunities for all. We encourage qualified applicants regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, functional ability or ethnic and religious affiliation to apply for the position.
Candidates should submit an application in English, consisting of CV (max 3 pages) and Cover Letter (max 1 pages) including summary of your key qualifications and relevant work experience for the position as administration and Human Resource Officer
Send the application in an e-mail to address: email@example.com (subject heading: Administration and Human Resource Officer no later than July 21, 2019.
We look forward to your application!